Back Home!

Good evening, everyone!

Today I am writing from my house back in Bowling Green!! It has been a long day of traveling, but I have finally made it back to the good old U.S.A. The past few days that I have not already touched on that I have had in England have been nothing short of great, and I have been supported every step of the way by everyone that I encounter for my future. Monday was part of the bank holiday, so we were off; And Tuesday I shadowed a 6th grader around the school to see what a normal day in secondary school would be like.

While in England, I learned so much more about culture and children than I did before. I learned about not only the differences between American and English children, but also how culture can mold and shape children's minds more than we ever know. I saw excellent techniques for managing behavior, for teaching subjects that may be a bit tricky to teach, and I saw what the transition from Primary (elementary) school to Secondary (middle and high) school looked like.

Before I departed for England, I truly had no idea what to expect when arriving. I had no idea if what I had researched and learned was truly valid in regard to these schools, towns, and culture. There were still some things (more or less - words or phrases) I did not even understand until being in England for a week or two. While there, my traveling group and I had the chance to visit three amazing places: London, Oxford, and Paris. It was amazing to see how each of these cities differed in many ways, and how they were similar in context of the town I was staying in and the U.S. While visiting, the thing that struck out most to me was I saw so many different forms of transportation used (almost no one uses a car unless it is necessary); As well as some majors differences and similarities in the schools and how they are run.

The family that I stayed with was incredible. Other than the students and teachers I met - these people left a lifelong impression on me and I will always be thankful that our paths crossed. Every day we talked in the car to and from school. Then, at dinner time we sat at the table for a few hours and just talked about our day or anything else we wanted to discuss. We had so much fun learning from each other and laughing all the time. I loved being with this family and I was able to fall into a new lifestyle rather than what I am used to back here.

Overall, I've gotten to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity with this journey. I have met so many people that I will never forget. I am so thankful for this opportunity and for the memories that I have made. Thanks for everyone who followed!

Until next time, England!



Comments

Popular Posts